Evandale History Society Incorporated
- Convict Built Water Scheme
- Harry Murray VC Memorial Room
- 7 E.F.T.S.
- Evandale Area Historic Churches
The Evandale History Society Inc is a volunteer society with a small but dedicated membership. The Society was established in 1991 and aims to collect, preserve and promulgate the written, photographic and oral history of Evandale and the surrounding areas of Nile, Deddington, Morven and Western Junction.
The Society meets monthly at the Evandale Community Centre. New members are most welcome. More details can be found at the Society’s web-site evandalehistory.org.
The society undertakes various projects over recent years of which the main ones are:
Water Tunnel (view page)
- Evandale to Launceston Water Scheme 1836-1838 which involved excavation of convicts built tunnel and artifacts
- Construction of a diorama, with an audio presentation, of the Water Scheme at Evandale Community and Information Center.
Harry Murray V.C. Memorial (view page)
- Construction of a monument to the memory of Lt. Colonel Harry Murray (Victoria Cross) in Main Street, Evandale
- On 24 February 2006 in Evandale, Tasmania, Governor-General Michael Jeffery unveiled a statue of Murray by sculptor Peter Corlett. This tribute was facilitated by a small group of volunteers who raised AU$85,000 in two years.
- On 04 February 2011 saw Harry Murray grandson, Chris Murray and his wife, visit Tasmania including Evandale as a result of him bringing Harry Murray's War medals including the Victoria Cross for display in Hobart and Launceston. Along with local and political dignities his grandfather was honoured by a luncheon held by the Evandale History Society
- A Harry Murray V.C. Memorial Room at the Community Centre
No. 7 EFTS (R.A.A.F.) Monument and Display (view page)
- Research and display of documents, photos, aircraft models and memorabilia of No 7 R.A.A.F. Elementary Flying Training School based at Western Junction (Launceston Airport) 1940-1945 at Evandale Community and Tourism Information Center
- Construction of 7 EFTS War Memorial which was built April 2010
- Formal R.A.A.F. Dedication Service for veterans and their families held on Saturday 21 August 2010
Other Current Evandale History Society Projects
- Research and compilation of Nile Cemetery Records
- Evandale St. Andrew's Cemetery Restoration
- Research and display of Convict records
- Research and display of local Military Histories
- Recording of interesting local people, properties and events
- Production of several historical booklets